Wednesday, June 17, 2015

NOLA Time Fest Happened, and I Was There

Unlike San Diego, Atlanta, or even New York, New Orleans isn't known for a particular convention, but the Gulf Coast is home to several conventions held throughout the year. It's my goal, here at She-Geeks, to showcase those smaller (but no less enthusiastic) conventions. If there is a convention in or around the Gulf Coast that you'd like to see me cover, please send the convention details to eris.shegeeks@gmail.com.


In its third year, NOLA Time Fest is a small con with a ton of enthusiasm! In the two days I was at Time Fest, I saw some amazing Doctor Who themed cosplay, found some wonderful vendors, and even made some new friends:

One of the highlights of the convention for me, was the quality of the panels. I sat in on two panels over the weekend (The Moffat Effect & Cosplay Etiquette), and they were two of the most engaging, civil, and thought-provoking panels I've ever sat on. In both cases, I met new people and found myself engaged in conversations with not only the other panelists, but with the audience as well. Despite differing (and passionate) opinions, everyone remained respectful of each other, asked thoughtful questions, and made both panels genuinely delightful.

Of course, no matter how civil your crowds are, you always have to prepare for chaos. The organizers of Time Fest took security seriously, but made sure to add their own spin on it by utilizing the members of New Orleans' own U.N.I.T. division to keep the peace:

Security with style
Time and time again (see what I did there?) I was reminded that big name guests and celebrity photo ops are great, but the hallmark of a fabulous convention is how much fun you can have just wandering around. Time Fest is as much a community gathering as it is a convention, and I truly hope it stays that way as it grows.

Until next year, here are a few of the highlights of NOLA Time Fest III:

Catkind and The Face of Boe

K.I.T.T. made an appearance!



It's a time collision (har har har)

Vendors:

Time Fest III Vendors


Cosplay:


Time Fest III Cosplay

No comments:

Post a Comment